One of our favorite things about the holidays is decorating cookies with the family. While sugary buttercream frosting is delicious, we wanted to test out some healthier alternatives. Below you'll find a few options from Chef Aaron Holliday for a healthier holiday tradition.
Coconut Cream Frosting (dairy free, gluten free)
2 cans coconut cream (not coconut milk)
1/3 cup sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, powdered sugar)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Chill coconut cream in can for at least 24 hours
2. Turn can upside down and open from bottom. Pour off coconut milk (save it for smoothies) so you are just left with the cream.
3. Add coconut cream, sweetener and vanilla to bowl of stand mixer
4. Beat on high until well mixed and fluffy
5. Add frosting to Little Green Pouches for easy, mess-free cookie and cupcake decorating
If you want to flavor or color your frosting naturally, add fruit and/or veggie purees to the frosting. Blueberries, beets, and carrots all provide great color and some extra nutrients.
This weekend we whipped up a batch of DIY crayons. They were such a hit on Instagram, we decided to share the how-to with all of you. First of all, why DIY crayons? Do you find crayons break all the time, and you are constantly replacing them? These giant crayons will last a lot longer. You can buy oversized, "toddler" crayons, but they are expensive. So this super easy DIY version is a great solution.
All you need is an oven, a muffin tin, and crayons. You can use all the broken crayon pieces you have laying around, or use new crayons that you break yourself.
1. Preheat oven to 250
2. Gather crayons and remove wrappers. Tip: soak crayons in warm water, and wrappers will fall right off.
3. Sort by color, and place crayon pieces in muffin tins
4. Place muffin tin in oven until crayons melt (about 15 minutes)
5. Turn oven off. Let crayons cool for a bit in oven (about 30 minutes)
6. Remove crayons from oven, and let cool completely
7. Remove from muffin tin and enjoy!
© Copyright 2017 Copyright Little Green Pouch. All Rights Reserved. Ecommerce Software by Shopify