10 Must-Have Baby Essentials for Newborns
It's hard to believe, but Baby O is already 4.5 months old! With that in mind, I thought I would share some of our favorite baby gear for babies 0-4 months old. This list includes 10 of our favorite items that you should immediately add to your registry if you haven't already. We didn't include a pack-n-play, bouncy seat, Boppy, or swing since you probably already know you want those. We actually lived on the edge, and didn't use a swing (I know, crazy!). With two adults, a baby, two large dogs, and a cat, we don't have a lot of extra space. Because of that, we are always on the search for gear and toys that will last longer than a few short weeks or months and that O can grow into. You'll find some of those below.
- The O-Ball: I had never heard of the O-Ball until we received one as a gift, but now I see it everywhere. And the consensus among all parents is that it is the greatest thing ever. I totally agree. This was the first toy that O could play with, and he still loves it. So many finger holes to grab on to, a little rattle action, and soft enough to chew on, and smack himself in the face with, without hurting himself.
- WubbaNub Pacifiers: Digging around for a pacifier in the car seat is no fun. Having to wash a pacifier 10 times a day because it falls on the floor and gets covered in dog hair is no fun. These are great because they are easy to keep track of, are a fun "buddy" for baby, and are so darn cute. We have the red dog and the frog. Just an FYI, I've heard certain animals do not lay as flat on baby's chest.
- Lavender Oil: Since he was born, we rub diluted lavender oil on O's feet before bed to help soothe him. I also add some to his humidifier at night. Who knows if this actually does anything, but it smells amazing, and is part of his bedtime routine and helps signal "time to sleep".
- A Wrap and a Carrier: I love both options, and both have their place. The wrap is great when baby is teeny tiny. And for travel. I flew with O when he was 8 weeks old, and the wrap was perfect for walking through the airport and settling in on the plane. And I love it for around the house, too. It took me a bit to fall in love with the Ergo. Even with the infant insert, I never thought I could get him in just right. But now that we don't need the infant insert, we love the Ergo and know we will use it for years to come. We hike all the time, and I love that this fits my husband so he can do some of the babywearing, too.
- The Windi: Okay, guys. Let's talk newborn gas. It's real, and it's fierce. I have friends who post on Facebook how their baby hasn't pooped for days (even a week). There is no way anyone in that house can be getting any sleep. The Windi is made by the makers of the famous Nose Frida, and it is a life saver. It's a little tool that helps relieve built up gas in baby's tummy. It works 100% of the time. Be prepared for more than just gas (especially if your little one has gone days without a BM). We never let it go more than 24 hours!
- Mamas & Papas Snug Seat & Activity Tray: Everyone knows about the Bumbo chair. We opted for this seat instead. Baby can use it from 3 months - 18 months. The padded seat can be removed when baby is older to give him more room. And the tray is also removable. The activity tray snaps on and off, as well, and all of the attachments can be moved around. O loves this! And it's so cute, too.
- Boppy Newborn Lounger: This is one of those short life-span items that I would still recommend. O spent much of his awake time on this his first couple months. My husband still uses it to prop him up for bottle feedings, as well. Now, if they would just make an adult version!
- Green Toys Teething Twist: When O started the early signs of teething (drooling, chewing on everything), I knew I wanted a teething toy for him. I was so excited to find Green Toys, because their toys are all sustainably made in the USA from recycled materials, and are BPA, phthalate, lead and PVC free. This is important to us, and especially for something intended to be in his mouth. I love watching him play with this and figure out hoe it works.
- Sophie the Giraffe: This is probably a no-brainer, but worth mentioning. Sophie is a great teething toy and so cute!
- Oggie Bear: I love this little nose and ear cleaner. We also have the Nose Frida, which I'm sure we will use when O gets his first cold, but this little guy is great for every day snot and boogers. I haven't used it to clean his ears, yet (I just use a q-tip).
So there you have it. What are your newborn essentials? I can't wait to see what the next few months have in store, and will be sure to share our favorites for 4-6 months.
Share Your #MyLGP Photos For A Chance To Win A Starter Kit A Week →
← Back to School Must Haves | Giveaway
Leave a Reply